Wednesday, July 27, 2011

First Steps: The Art Show



Two Christmases ago I decided that I wanted to become an artist. I began by signing up for the San Antonio starving artist show so that I would have a deadline that would force me to create things to sell. It definitely did that. The show was in April, and I brought nearly 30 pieces.

The show was successful. I sold 5 paintings, and learned a lot about how much I hate having inventory. The piece that I felt was the strongest that I’d brought “Secret Garden” got a lot of attention. It is made of venetian plaster and glaze. One woman came back to see it several times. It was plain to see that she was falling in love with it. Then she brought her husband to look at it. He was not similarly infatuated. Later in the day I saw them as they were leaving the show, and while they were carrying home a LOT of art that day, “Secret Garden” wasn’t among them. It continued to get a good amount of interest through the rest of the weekend, but in the end it didn’t sell.

So, it currently hangs in my dining room and I love it there. I am so glad no one bought it.

Pin It now!

No comments:

Post a Comment